HOW I FOUGHT AN ILLNESS THAT KILLS 80% OF THOSE WHO GOES THROUGH IT…

“...our health care system is in shambles. In fact when I went for India for that surgery I couldn’t help but weep for our fatherland Nigeria. We have not really started. Our politicians are busy stealing money and pushing it abroad. Why can’t they establish such hospitals and world class health centres here? People will still patronise them and they will save more lives. Look at what it costs to go for medical surgery abroad. In serious cases like mine I spent almost 8 to 9 million Naira on the whole…” These were the words of Mr. Francis Obinna Nwaubani (Mr. FON) a practicing journalist who battled death and overcame to the glory of God. Mr. FON as he is popularly called could not get treated of Colon tumour in Nigeria, Africa’s supposed ‘Giant’ because of the absence of requisite health facilities.
In this interview he revealed very salient information that will be of great benefit to persons who are battling similar ailments.
He stopped at nothing to reveal details you have always wanted to hear about the true situation of the Nigerian nation, ranging from education to governance.
Mr. Francis Obinna Nwaubani is one of the principal staff of Broadcasting Corporation of Abia State, Nigeria.
Let’s Speed off…
RealHart: Hello; to you our Guest tonight, Mr. Francis Nwaubani. You are welcome to the interview session powered by KamReports, represented by Kanu Augustine O., and RealHart, represented by myself, Ekeledo Kelechi Hart. Can we meet you, Sir?
Mr. Francis: My name is Francis Obinna Nwaubani. A freeborn of Umuahia South L.G.A in Abia state, a Journalist by profession.

KamReports: Mr. Francis, kindly tell us about your education background and what prompted you to take a go at Journalism as a profession.
‪Mr. Francis: Well, I did my primary education right here in Olokoro Umuahia South, before proceeding to Government College, Umuahia, where I spent 6yrs for my secondary education. I did OND at Oko polythecnic before proceeding to Abia State University Uturu, for my B.Sc in Mass Communication. Choosing journalism as a profession wasn’t difficult for me because I have always had the flair for writing n speechmaking right from an early stage in life

KamReports: From information made available, you are obviously one of the very finest Journalists around. How is it like to practice Journalism in Nigeria and Southeast especially?
Mr. Francis: Thanks for the complement. Practising journalism in Nigeria as a whole has its own peculiarities and, ups and downs. In a country where still getting privileged information especially from the government circles is always made difficult doesn’t go down well with journalism profession. This is despite the passage of the so called information bill into law and our much taunted democracy. There is also the issue of battling with obsolete equipment for us in the electronic media. Journalists in this country are also grossly underpaid just like in most other professions in d country giving rise to d issue of brown envelops or gratifications as the case may be. But all in all it is a very exciting and honourable profession. In fact I have always said you live journalism as a profession because you are always unto the next thing happening, and has no time or dates or bounds. You are even working when sleeping. Being creative requires a lot of mental energy, you know (smiles).

KamReports: That is wonderful sir.
Mr. Francis: Yea. It is an exciting profession

KamReports: There is this threat to the Journalism Profession in Nigeria; the Brown Envelope (bribe to Journalists). What is your take on the issue and how do you handle such when they come up?
Mr. Francis: The issue of brown envelops or bribes to journalists are neither here nor there. First of all that is not peculiar to journalists only in this country. Go to other professions be it the police, Army, the lawyers and every other job in this country have one form of bribe of the other they take. I have even over heard of a medical doctor accepting brown envelope or money to write a favourable medical report for a client. So you see that it is a thing of morality and not necessarily profession. It has to do with the conscience of an individual. For me accepting favours when you write or broadcast a good report and somebody wants to appreciate u is not bad in it. But when you go collecting money to cover up stories or write in favour of someone is out rightly bad. I always urge journalists to maintain their standards because dos things might cause you integrity and good name which is better than silver or gold.

RealHart: In terms of monetary benefits, how advantageous is journalism when compared with other professions in the country?
Mr. Francis: (Laughs) Well, I cannot really say. For journalists who work in Govt establishments they‘re just paid like every other civil and public servants. And you know the average take home of civil servants are nothing to write home about. But for journalists who find themselves in some federal government owned and big privately owned establishments, some are doing greatly well financially. But for some it all boils down to your innovations n creativity to make out something for yourself. But compared with other professions like the doctors and even the lawyers, journalists in this country are yet to be given there right and pride of place. Journalists sacrifice a lot for next to nothing in this country and just like the teachers are greatly neglected despite their enormous contributions to the overall growth and development of this country. This consolidated media pay and wear-in allowances the media workers re canvassing for should be urgently looked into to better their lot urgently. So journalists are underpaid and undervalued in Nigeria.

RealHart: People see you as a household name when it comes to Sports writing. What can you say about that?
Mr. Francis: (Laughs) Well, I can attribute it to God, hard work and dedication. The funny thing was I tried running away from sports reporting when I was posted to it because I saw it as a lot hectic and stressful, but thank God today it turned out well and am glad I was mentored and coached well.

RealHart: Who are your role models in that line?
Mr. Francis: I had good mentors and I will always remain grateful to my chairman Chief Emeka Inyama. My Oga at the top Mr. Ejikeme Ikwunze(Mr. Football), my former DNCA, Mr. Ogbonnaya Iheaka, my former boss too ,Chief  Uchenna Dike, my present boss in the office, Comrade Hyacinth Okoli and my bosom friend ,Chika Ojiegbe. They were there for me from the scratch in those turbulent days. Not forgetting a person that played a fatherly role in my life in those early days, the late Eze Gaius Ihejiamaizu. My role model remains Chief Emeka Inyama.He rose from sports reporting to the pinnacle of sports and football administration in the country today. A very fine gentleman.

KamReports: You attended schools tagged as best in your region judging from the scramble for them by candidates. In the face of this, readers will definitely love to know in every detail possible, how growing up was for you.
Mr. Francis: Growing up was fun. My parents were both teachers and they ensured we went to the best of schools in those days and at a very early age. And I being the first of four kids, three boys and a girl was positioned very early for leadership roles. Although, I later lost both my parents at very early stage in life, God was with me and saw me through many challenges. I remain very grateful to him. The zest and determination to overcome and succeed burned and still burns in me and when you put your faith and hope in God and not men, the sky is your starting point. Growing up was beautiful and I had lots of fun as a kid.

RealHart: Talking about challenges, in 2014 you got struck with a heavier challenge where you practically fought for your life. Can your share the experience?
Mr. Francis: Yea. I had a life threatening illness. Just out of the blues I was struck with colon tumour. A sickness which kills about 80% of those that goes through it. That was in the peak of my young life and a blossoming career. I fought, I wept, I prayed and for almost two years of my life I was down and out and not even going to work or anything. I ended up with two major life threatening surgeries in India last year (2015) and to the glory of God I survived it. Today am back to my feet again and doing what I love best once more- sports reporting (Laughs). God was with me. He was there for me through that very challenging part of my life. I owe him everything.

RealHart: How has that experience been able to   shape your personality?
‪Mr. Francis: Brought me closer to God. Have also learnt to look at the other side of life.

RealHart: Other side of life? How do you mean by that?
‪Mr. Francis: You have never hanged in d balance of life and death so you won’t understand what I mean. It takes experience to know.

KamReports: The experienced they say can teach better. There are millions more persons world over passing through such health challenge. What can they do to help their situation; diet, life style, and any other worthwhile information?
Mr. Francis: Live a moderate life style, go for proper diagnosis and get early treatment. Early detection and treatment of any ill-health is a life saver. Eat well also especially lots of vegetables and fruits. Above all be prayerful and trust in God’s ability to save you.

KamReports: Before we go, let's look at Nigeria's health care system. What are your views about it, and what actions and policies can the government put in place to ensure a favourable end to medical tourism?
Mr. Francis: Our health care system is in shambles. In fact when I went for India for that surgery I couldn’t help but weep for our fatherland Nigeria. We have not really started. Our politicians are busy stealing money and pushing it abroad. Why can’t they establish such hospitals and world class health centres here. People will still patronise them and they will save more lives. Look at what it costs to go for medical surgery abroad. In serious cases like mine I spent almost 8 to 9 million naira on the whole. Everything you pay for there is in dollars and very expensive. The earlier and government in Nigeria evolves a workable health policy in and nation and better for all of us.

RealHart: It is said that behind a successful man there is a woman. Who is the woman of your life and how has she contributed to your successes today? ‪Mr. Francis: (Laughs) I keep my family life very private. But know I have an Angel and little Angels whose smiles, love and care makes me the man I am today (Laughs). Without whom there is no me.

KamReports: Wow. Sir, let us wrap up with some words from you to everyone; the youth, children, adults, the government and the globe.
Mr. Francis: Cling to God. No matter the situation he is able to see you through. Hold on to your dreams and work tirelessly towards it. Success shall be yours at last. And for the government you owe the people a duty. Do so and Nigeria shall be the better for it. Thanks.

KamReports: Thanks a lot Mr. Francis. We really appreciate the time you spared. We look forward to a better reoccurrence of this wonderful time out. Please do well to call on us if you desire to make anything known to the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"EVANS VANISHES…" MOST MISLEADING HEADLINE OF ALL TIME

Meet Nigeria’s Youngest Beautiful Female Lawyer and SAN to Be

THE POTENCY OF GARLIC, GINGER AND LIME JUICE